This pie recipe is made with only six ingredients, including sweetened condensed milk to to make a smooth and creamy filling. Bake in a homemade graham cracker crust to create this easy key lime pie that is zesty + delicious!
You can’t go wrong with homemade pie! This classic pie is a refreshing dessert to make for friends and family, especially if you have a husband like mine who LOVES anything Key Lime! This classic pie is a refreshing dessert to make for friends and family. It’s made with only six ingredients and no eggs.
Fresh lime juice is the key to the best pie. Yes, it requires a little extra work, but fresh lime juice creates the best flavor.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A LIME AND A KEY LIME?
Key limes contain more concentrated aromatic juices, which gives the pie more flavor. They are also more yellow and smaller than regular limes.
Because key limes are small, this recipe calls for a lot of them. I use around 50 key limes to make 3/4 fresh squeezed juice. Use a citrus squeezer to make the process quick and easy. You can use regular limes in place of key limes but it won’t taste like an authentic key lime pie. Substitute the same amount juice for regular time juice.
The classic recipe includes a homemade graham cracker pie crust! The buttery sweetness and crunchy texture compliments the citrus filling perfectly. The pie crust only requires three ingredients (graham crackers, sugar and melted butter) with the remaining three ingredients for the pie filling (condensed milk, sour cream, limes).
TIPS FOR MAKING
- This pie should be refrigerated. Keep it for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Cover loosely with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
- Use a store-bought graham cracker pie crust to save time.
- Try to use key limes for authentic color and flavor. Fresh limes are preferred but you can use store bought lime juice if needed.
- This recipe does not use eggs. The recipe sets by baking and then chilling in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. Do not skip the chilling.
- Serve the pie with whipped cream or meringue.
- Garnish with additional lime zest for more color and flavor.
SERVING: 1SLICE, CALORIES: 356KCAL, CARBOHYDRATES: 51G, PROTEIN: 6G, FAT: 15G, SATURATED FAT: 9G, CHOLESTEROL: 44MG, SODIUM: 212MG, POTASSIUM: 293MG, FIBER: 1G, SUGAR: 44G, VITAMIN A: 442IU, VITAMIN C: 6MG, CALCIUM: 209MG, IRON: 1MG
- For the best flavor, juice your own key limes or buy a bottle of key lime juice from the store. It is usually located with the regular lime juice and lemon juice. The Nellie & Joe’s key lime juice brand is the one I like.
- Keep it for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Cover loosely with aluminum foil or plastic wrap.
What are some of your favorite takes on key lime pie? Do you have any other favorite summer desserts? I’d love to hear from you!